Sun, December 6, 2pm – 4pm
1934 Leatherwood Ln, Bluefield, VA 24605, USA (map)
Records show that the Bailey family first settled in what later became Tazewell County more than 230 years ago. Richard Peyton Bailey Sr. received a warrant for land along the Bluestone River on Oct. 15, 1770. Bailey was a scout and spy for the American army who gathered intelligence about the British and Indians in that part of Virginia. Records reveal that by 1790, Bailey and John Goolman Davidson had built log homes for the families and a fort beside what is known as Bailey Springs. That location today is behind the Scott & Springfellow office building at 1934 Leatherwood Lane in Bluefield, Va.
For more info: Lynn Burnette at 276-326-1786 or write the Graham Historical Society at P.O. Box 715, Bluefield, VA 24605.